Monday, October 10, 2011

Waiting on Tomorrow...


Minarets with attached audio system for Muslim call to prayer, Southern Ghana
Tomorrow we find out which country we will be sent to for the next two (2) years.  Two years is also known as: 24 months; 104 weeks; 730 days; 17,520 hours; 1,051,200 minutes.  That's right, a million.  What would you do in just over a million minutes?  (And does anyone else have the Rent song stuck in your head--"525,600 minutes, How do you measure a year in [daylights, sunsets, midnights, cups of coffee, laughter]"?)  My plan for the million is to eat lots of food, explore local sites, dance to good music, travel, hike, trek, write, paint, cook, learn a new language and, if I am feeling up to it, get my Nobel Peace Prize.  You know, save the universe, make world peace, create the pill for immortality, end cancer, world hunger, the AIDS pandemic, and general suffering as we know it--basically a cake walk.  (Then what else will I do with ALL of my free time???) 

Trekking about Cape Coast, Ghana
Two years seem like a long time.  In retrospect, however, I have noticed with age that years fly by more quickly.  It's funny the way time works: when you are waiting for something to happen (as in tapping your foot impatiently in a queue at the bank) ten minutes can feel like hours.  The weekend, a hundred times as long, nearly always goes away in a flash.  Where is my time-stopping machine when I need it, hmm?  
 
Over the last few days I have been imagining all of the potential country options and am optimistic that no matter the outcome we will have an adventure, though where and what kind of adventure I cannot say... for another 24+ hours.  The phrase, "be careful what you wish for 'cause you just might get it," is running amok in my head: all of the places I have hoped to see, breathe, and engross myself within are coming to the forefront.  I am now faced with the potential reality of living in Country X in four to five short months.  Fortunately, foreign service spouses are able to take immersion language classes when available so I am looking forward to taking a foreign tongue and working to pronounce all of the words that just a few weeks ago were off my radar and out of mind.  So please, cross your fingers, send good vibes, and let's hope for the best.  I am, most definitely, intrigued and emboldened by the possible country outcomes. 

Our top five options are on four different continents, so perhaps it is apropos to say the world is our oyster?
Sunset in Cape Coast, Ghana, West Africa
   

No comments:

Post a Comment